Friday 13 September 2013

Orval

I instantly regret my glass decision. I should've gone with a tulip... I just haven't had a good beer in my new Cheers glass and I wanted to break the curse. I knew, because my Belgian beer scout Kim said it was her husband's favourite, that this would be the one to break that duck. As expected the pour is typically Belgian, there's a ton of head that leaves heavy speckling and high carbonation, neither of which ever get out of control if you're careful, though even when cold this beer can be a handful so be careful! The colour is the exact hazy brown that a pine furniture warehouse would be if you put it through the biggest smoothie maker in the world.

The nose is sweet and spicy, thick and faintly floral with a background of violently citrus hops, I knew this was going to be a fun one from the pour but the aroma has pretty much sold me on this too. Even if the taste lets me down (which I doubt it will,) then this review will almost definitely still be glowing and positive. I'm not entirely sure if that's fair but if you could smell what I'm smelling right now then I don't think you'd be complaining.

The taste is... Deeply interesting, surprisingly fresh whilst being well rounded and a veritable chugging beer. The first sip is a characteristically saison style zing, sharp as the knives of the legion of lemon assassins, but then it settles into a round and warming glow which gives me the impression that this beer has just punched me, hugged me and then dared me to let it do it again. Everyone needs friends like Orval.

What a delicious beer. This has just got it all, especially if you like things that are round and sharp... Like hedgehogs.

Food suggestions: Nothing too mad, I'd settle for the fancy bread they bring out in posh restaurants that they claim is free. Some places have olive oil and balsamic vinegar, some have butter and rock salt, either will work as long as there's some lovely crusty bread to go with it.

Drink this if you like: Hedgehogs... Did you not read the rest of the review?

No comments:

Post a Comment