Tuesday 9 July 2013

Blue Moon

It's brewed by Coors but still describes itself as North American Craft Beer. I'm pretty sure that's a contradiction in terms but I've never been known to say no to good beer regardless of the ACTUAL company behind it. Spaten and Lowenbrau are owned by inbev and I still love them, so this has still got a decent chance. Blue Moon was sold to me as an unfiltered wheat beer that's brewed and spiced in the Belgian tradition, so it's definitely talking the talk, but what does it do in the way of walking the walk? Well, the aroma is malt heavy with a pleasing punch of orange peel and the finger of head you get from the pour recedes quickly, leaving a small amount of speckling.

It tastes like someone's laced a silk handkerchief with potassium and has dared you to see if you can swallow it whole, not to say that it's an unpleasant sensation because it is, at least, not boring. The taste settles down and you start appreciating how smooth it is and how the orange peel really comes through whilst also realising that it isn't a heavy wheat beer, which I often find off putting.

Blue moon looks like pond water and goes down like barbed wire coated in Vaseline, which makes it charming to my booze-addled brain.

Would not kick it out of bed for eating crackers, nor would I say no if someone plonked one down in front of me and told me to "drink up"... High praise indeed.

Food suggestion: Seafood I reckon. This makes me crave a bucket of crab legs with a slightly smaller bucket of butter and a hammock of bread. This American beer seems to be giving me a good old American appetite.

Drink this if you like: Similar to and slightly more exciting than Hoegaarden. Drink this if you've never had a wheat beer before and fancy something a little exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment