Sunday 7 July 2013

Fuller's - Honeydew

What do you mean I've never reviewed Honeydew? I must have! I compare EVERYTHING to it, I can't have completely skimmed over it... Oh... It turns out I have. Sorry Fuller's! I don't think I can even count how many bottles of this I've consumed and not once did I think to write up a little something to express my gratitude. What an ungrateful sod I am! Well there's no better time to do it than several months after they changed all their labelling, so here it is.

It smells of, duh, honey but with a little burnt quality to it that stops the smell becoming sickly and helping to remind you that you have beer in front of you and not a glass full of something Whinny the Pooh would drink if Disney suddenly decided to go all Noir and edgy. The colour is that of honey and the head recedes quickly which, if you stood back and stopped paying attention, could leave you under the impression that someone has just emptied a jar of the stuff into your glass.

The taste, unsurprisingly is of honey but with a hint of cereal in the background which gives the drinker the impression that they're drinking the liquid form of Honey Loops, a sensation that is extremely pleasant and, for some, evocative and nostalgic, I know it definitely is for me.

I often don't pay attention to the little details about this beer like the fact that it's organic or that it's 5% because the novelty of it still hasn't worn off. It was the first honey beer I ever had and it has set a bench mark that has not been beaten by anything else claiming to be honey beer. Skinner's tried but it was just beer, Floris succeeded... In making alcoholic honey. Honeydew is a pleasant mixture that leads you to think you're drinking a honey concoction whilst still reminding you that beer is best.

Food suggestion: A big, glistening, gammon joint with cloves and honey that has maybe been cooked the fancy way in a vat of ginger ale so that it becomes, if anything, sweeter than sweetness itself.

Drink this if you like: The idea of mead more than the reality of it. I tried mead recently and I wasn't a fan; this is what I imagined mead would be like. I wish to drink Honeydew from a hollowed goat horn and laugh raucously at tales of plunder and conquest.

No comments:

Post a Comment