Tuesday 4 March 2014

Odell - Myrcenary

Excuse the lack of actual picture. My old phone snuffed it.
I like Odell. End of review.

No, I obviously can't just leave it at that. I like Odell because they've got a certain American swagger to them, they've got an idiosyncratic style and, most importantly, they tend to make great beer. I can tell just from smelling this heavily hopped double IPA (the "i" standing for incredible in this case) that this beer is going to be right up my alley. Named for Myrcene, a component of essential oils in the hop flower, this looks to deliver big in all departments and before I even take a sip they're already half there. The aroma is intense, giving you grapefruit and mixed floral tones as well as letting you get a whiff of some of the rich malt that has to be going on in there. It's well behaved on the pour, giving a wafer thin head and a cloudy, pale, body. On top of that it packs in a 9.3 percentage, which is enough to put anyone under a table and out of commission.

The thing I really like about Odell is how they sell their beer, they don't do the whole Brewdog "better than thou" routine, they're the quiet kid with the big ideas, not the flashy guy who's obviously overcompensating. Odell are more Richie than they are The Fonz but the Fonz was uneducated and lived above a garage. Richie won Oscars... Maybe I'm getting things mixed up. Anyway...

It tastes smooth and sweet, rich and creamy, with caramel and subtle bitterness running throughout. There are punches of tropical fruit, so many punches of fruit in fact that I could mistake this for fruit punch... Frikkin' AWESOME fruit punch! It's obviously still beer but it's got so much and so little going on at the same time, it can be what you want it to be. Do you want to taste and feel the complexity of a high quality beer? Done! Feel the frikkin' rainbow of tropical jazz assault your face area! Do you want to just relax and slowly feel yourself becoming more and more drunk until you pass out and your cats start to eat you because they thought you were dead? Done! You could easily mistake this for a 5% beer and you'd be on the floor before you knew it... Also cats are dumb.

So should you buy this beer? I don't know... Do you like beer? You do?! Then hecks to the yes! Get this down you like your throat was engulfed in flame and this was some sort of soothing liquid... Which it is... Coincidence? I think not!

Food Suggestion: This makes me think of the movie Waitress... Don't ask, my girlfriend made me watch it. What it makes me think of is how this beer would go extremely well with ALL OF THOSE PIES!!! NOMNOMNOM! (Please insert further assorted netspeak that illustrates my point.)

Drink this if you like: Happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment