Wednesday 12 March 2014

Thornbridge - Chiron

Ok, I think we get the general idea by now. I love Thornbridge, it's almost unhealthy how much I love Thornbridge, they can do everything, they can do big batch stuff that tastes like most brewer's small batch stuff and they make small batch stuff that tastes like the TEARS OF MIGHTY ODIN! Today I've got Chiron, bought from Bambuni in Nunhead (great place for a spot of lunch and a beer!) It's an American Pale, 5%, there's nothing entirely special about that... Or is there? ... No. However, the moment you pop the cap is when the magic starts and this pours like an absolute dream, giving 2 fingers of the whitest, softest, pillowy, head I've seen in a while. I imagine it'll leave some speckling but it's barely gone down at all, it's the perfect height, texture and colour and it sits on top of a warm amber/golden body that looks like it's going to be equal parts comforting and refreshing. I intend to put that to the test!

The smell is fresh, pronounced and hoppy, with a little hint of yeast coming through. It tastes biscuity and smooth, zingy to open and bitter to finish with little hints of liquorice, but it's the kind of beer you could session, and you'd make a conscious effort not to begrudge the hangover. It's got a good mouth feel, it's rounded and interesting; there's plenty going on but not enough to confuse or befuddle. It is beguiling and enchanting without being full-on witchcraft.

Whenever you see a review of Thornbridge from me in the future, let me sum it up for you in caveman speak:

"Ug, Drew are like Thorny Bridge. It are good. It are make Drew face do happy smile time. Ug Food pairing? Hot, dead, mammoth."

Food suggestion: ...Mammoth, what did I just say?

Drink this if you like: If you like the Westbrook guys or Sierra Nevada then you'll get a kick out of this. I imagine you'll like it if you're just generally a fan of Thornbridge too... Which you should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment