Wednesday 16 January 2013

Williams Bros Brewing Co - Caesar Augustus

Great Odin's Raven! There are literally no words to describe how frothy and uncontrollable this beer is. I don't want to to go out on a limb and say they're all like this because I might have dropped this one but I never drop beer because of that on time in Sainsbury's when I broke a bottle of Hardcore IPA, ran around the store trying to find someone to clean it up before offering to pay for it because I felt so bad about spilling good beer. The worst thing that may have happened to the bottle is that it might have rolled around a bit on the bottom of my car on the way home from the shops, which all bottles do and this is by far the worst reaction I've ever had. I poured the beer 4 minutes ago and I've only gotten to the half way point! There's just so much froth!

The beer sure does smell delicious and because this is a hybrid between lager and IPA (my two favourite types of beer,) I was expecting big things, I wasn't expecting the big thing to be the wait I had to tolerate before I could actually get at the beer. This is so close to being a deal breaker! The only thing keeping me interested is the fact that I want to see what a lager/IPA hybrid tastes like.

It smells like a decent IPA with nice strong hops and looks like a lager... So far so good. EXCEPT FOR THE 7 minute total wait to actually drink this thing! (I'm not a particularly patient man by nature.) On the surface it's providing what was advertised.

OK... This is just a massively carbonated IPA. It's a nice enough IPA but that's it! This review is over! I'm going to drink the rest of it but there is entirely nothing special about this. Maybe if it didn't take so bloody long to settle then I would've looked on it more favourably, but it didn't, so I won't. A poor showing from Scotland, who I have been impressed with up until the last 2 beers I've had and a terrible showing from the buyers at Sainsbury's who seem to think this is anything special.

Food Suggestion: If you pour this and then start making a pot roast from scratch then it may have settled by the time the pot roast is done.

Drink this if you like: When you are kept waiting for something that isn't entirely impressive... Drink this if you're a fan of Coldplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment