Wednesday 2 January 2013

Leffe - Blonde and Brune

Leff, Leffay, Leaf, whichever potentially incorrect way you pronounce it, there is one thing that is clear about Leffe and it is that it is the standard to which all Belgian beer and, hence, ALL beer must be measured. It is the yardstick of the casual alcoholic and the Geiger counter of the occasionally double sighted. It is not the best beer in the world but it is the highest consistent standard of beer in the world. There is a reason why, if a pub in England or America, wants to branch out and serve Belgian beer but have never actually been to Belgium, they go for Leffe Blonde (they also go for Hoegaarden, which isn't the smartest move in the world.) I shall explain why.

I will, however, preface this by praising the person who donated this lovely gift set to me, the consummately lovely Cat Anckorn (my girlfriend and, in fact, the supplier of A LOT of my beers.)




Leffe Blonde:

I can't put my finger on exactly why Leffe Blonde is as popular as it is, I mean there's a list of reasons as long as my list of X Factor contestants and Z list celebrities I wish would disappear for ever, but maybe not one that has significant enough a majority to claim absolute rule. There is the fact that if you go to Belgium it, along with Jupiler and Maes, will probably be the first drink you have there and among the three it will definitely be the most satisfying. Maybe it's because it comes in what looks like a mix between a wine glass and a goblet, presentation isn't everything but people who say it doesn't count are bloody idiots. I'm sure the fact that it pours like liquid gold and froths happily to itself while you sit around and watch the world waltz by has something to do with it but, more than likely, I think it's probably the fact that the first taste, and I'm talking about the FIRST taste of it, is like a sweet shop was caught in the middle of a horrible crash between a beer truck and a pretzel wagon. It's so deliciously balanced, bringing sweetness to stickiness to breadiness to more sweetness. It tastes like freshly buttered brioche and is as refreshing as a Czech Pilsner. I could drink Leffe Blonde all day... I reckon I have before but I honestly don't/can't remember.

Food suggestion: It may sound trashy but you should eat this with a burger. I guess you could class it up a bit by having blue cheese on the burger but that's really up to you.

Drink this if you like: Innis and Gunn Whisky Cask.


Leffe Brune:

The first time I ever went to my favourite Belgian restaurant La Trappiste in Canterbury I struck up a conversation with a Belgian gentleman who had worked the bar for several years and had worked various bars around the world. I asked him to give me the best Brune he had available, I had looked through their extensive list of beers and had seen hundreds of exciting and fantastical brunes with words like "baffling" and "intricate" written into their descriptions. He poured me a glass of Leffe Brune. "It is my favourite and therefore it is the best," he said, whilst pouring a pint of Fruli for my girlfriend. I have to admit I was a little disappointed, there was a whole world of brune to try and he had given me the one they sell in supermarkets. Well, there's a reason why they do and that's because it is, at it's core a truly delicious beer that looks like a stout or porter and tastes like crème brulee. I can compare it to the blonde by saying what it gives up in the ability to refresh, and it doesn't give up a lot, it more than makes up for in sweetness. If the blonde was buttered brioche then this is Nutella on a big chunk of wholemeal bread. I will always remember this as the first of what I like to call "Ninja" beer as the first time I ever had it was the first time I ever lost the feeling in my legs through drinking... Maybe not that healthy but it's so tasty that you'll just want to drink it again and again.

Food suggestion: A chunk of Belgian chocolate, dark preferably but if you're not down with that kind of thing then you can go for milk.

Drink this if you like: Innis and Gunn Rhum Cask.

No comments:

Post a Comment