Thursday 7 March 2013

Harviestoun Brewery - Bitter & Twisted

Drew "Bargain Hunter" Harrington is what precisely no-one calls me, generally on the basis that I'm not all that great at bargain hunting, I don't actively bargain hunt and that Harrington isn't my last name. However, if they did call me that then they'd almost definitely be referring to this, an interesting little number that I dug out of the staff shopping bin. The poor thing was reduced down to 39p because it had no label.

39p well spent! B&T, as they like to refer to it on the bottle, has an aromatic character with a smooth body with, as advertised, a little lemon at the end that is immensely pleasing and perfectly compliments the sweet cereal taste that precedes it. The pour is frisky but tameable and it has more flavour than most things you'll find in the real ale section of your local supermarket.

It is utterly impossible to find fault with this beer, it's not blowing any doors down but, then again, it's not trying to so I can't really mark it down for that. I get the impression that the guys over at Harviestoun got an idea for a beer, meticulously plotted out what they'd need and where they'd need it, tweaked where appropriate and then ended up with exactly what they wanted, a deliciously smooth, well balanced, slightly quirky, thirst quencher with character and charm. Another thoroughly decent pint from Scotland. Those guys really know what they're doing.

Food Suggestion: I like the idea of this with a massive shellfish platter, lots of crab and lobster, a hammer and some butter. Stick a couple of bottles of this on the table and I'm a happy chap.

Drink this if you like: Jennings, though it does have a little hint of St. Mungos about it. Part of it feels like a really high-end helles style beer so if you're a fan of the Germans then you'll probably like this too.

No comments:

Post a Comment