Sunday 26 May 2013

Brains - Barry Island IPA

Created by Simon Martin of The Real Ale Guide and produced by Brains, Barry Island IPA has got the heart and the passion behind it to be a top notch brew but I've never been overwhelmed by Brains, I like what they do but they've never blown the doors down and made a beer that's stamped up to me and punched me in the face with sheer awesomeness wrapped around their bottle-capped fist. Mr. Martin is one of those guys who just loves beer and loves how it works, how it tastes, how it feels and what you have to do to make a good one. He has passed judgement on many beers, so I will take it upon myself to pass judgement on his. (Though that's not why I chose the beer, I was wandering through Morrisons and I took a fancy to the label.)

It pours a lovely varnished-brown with a finger of head that quickly recedes and smells a little of liquorice and fudge, a most welcome aroma that reminds me of Christmas and eating sweets until I gave myself a stomach ulcer. It feels quite velvety and round, full and comforting, with a taste of blackcurrant through an initial wave of bitter hops. It is maybe a bit weak for an American style IPA but I get the impression that these chaps know what they were doing, a bit more may have utterly ruined the beer and I would have had to sit here and slate it. As it is, I am thoroughly impressed with a beer that is as comforting as sleeping on a bed made of alpacas and is as deliciously bitter as a long personal embrace with Megan Fox after 3 hours of spin class.

Simon Martin sure does know his beer and, as I will vouch, he sure knows how to make it too. Well played, chap!

Food suggestion: I'd love this with some pork belly and a caramelised apple, just a little sweet and salty goodness to smash through the bitterness of this beer and make it come alive. I would, however, be more than happy to session this with just a bowl of nuts by my side or maybe, if I'm feeling fancy, some mini cheddars.

Drink this if you like: Knowing that your beer was made by a beer critic.

No comments:

Post a Comment