Sunday 12 May 2013

The Kernel & Brodie's - Scanner Darkly

EXCITED!!!!!!!

2 of my favourite brewers coming together to make a Black IPA, my favourite style of beer, and name it after a movie I rank... Well, at least in the top 25... At a stretch. There is so much reason to be excited! I've been waiting to try this beer for so long but I've never had the opportune moment, either I hadn't chilled it for long enough or I had an early shift the next day or my dog had eaten my bottle opener and I had to wait for it to be passed. No more waiting! Drinking of awesomeness is about to happen!

(I may have set this poor thing up for quite a hefty fall.)

The pour impressed me, the way it has a slowly expanding head that mellows and sits unevenly like an ancient wall. It smells as deliciously hoppy as a lot of other offerings from Kernel and Brodie's though if it had any particular leaning then I'd say that this smelt more like a Kernel beer. Saying that, it definitely looks more like a Brodie's beer; proud and unforgiving with one eye on you and one eye on his sword, ready to beat back winter by hitting it right in the cumulonimbus! I'm quite impressed that even after a few minutes the head has not budged an inch, it's like someone scraped a cup of melted marshmallows on top of a glass of fizzy swamp water.

Ooooooh that is a gorgeous little beer... This is the kind of beer you tend to have deep meaningful moments with. It's rich and smooth, which makes it very easy to drink but it combines a hoppy bitterness with a slight toffee sweetness that's so subtle that I question whether I tasted it at all. I'm sure I did! This is such a beautiful example of the Black IPA breed that has gone from being utterly unknown to me to becoming my number 1, my BFF, my secret lover who I shoot glances at across a crowded room and occasionally take out back to ravish veraciously. I could drink a big, sloppy, bucket of this and not get tired of it, the smooth body and enchanting bitterness make this an absolute joy and the 6.9% makes it efficient at getting me on the way to seeing double.

I'm so glad that combinations like this, between craft breweries, happen because it brings together the best qualities from 2 different ideals to create something as beautiful as a joust between a unicorn and a narwhal.

Drink this. Cry a little. Continue with your life knowing that it'll never be as good as when you were drinking this. Review complete.

Drink this if you like: Black Betty by Beavertown. They're all from London and I'm not sure if they're all rivals and dislike that I compare them to each other. It's a compliment! You're all totally badass! Get over it!

Food suggestion: Your own tears because of all the crying that I suggested you should do before you reassess what you're doing with your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment