Monday 11 November 2013

Canterbury Brewery - Scrumpkin

Ever drink unlabelled pumpkin beer out of a DeMolen goblet? No? Sucks to be you, huh?! I'm rolling old school like some sort of Jack Skellington pumpkin pimp! Does it surprise you to find out that this is my first EVER pumpkin beer? Yup, that's right, I'm a pump-vir-beer-kin-gin but as I sniff at this mahogany hued temptress I have to wonder what I've been doing with my time. Drinking normal person beer for normal person people? Ridiculous!

This smells like the kind of christmas cake that you can actually tolerate after a 12 course turkey based face pounding. The kind of cake that's so good that you'd risk walking that thin line between "ok" and "...Now I've fallen asleep and woken up covered in my own sick." There's a delicious spicy core running through the aroma that makes me want to take up stock brokering, instantly retire and buy tartan slippers.

The mouth feel is ghostly but not haunting, it's there but you can't feel it, which is dangerous when the beer itself tastes so deliciously sweet and spiced, like a delicious mince pie or the concept of tonsil hockey under mistletoe. Whatever it is, it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, even when it's cold, which is perfect for this time of year. It is a shame that pumpkin beer is considered to be seasonal because I'd drink this by the pool on a hot sunny day in July.

It's hard to fault the boys at The Foundry because they're just so passionate about making good beer and making stuff that people may not have tried before. The only other pumpkin beer I've been exposed to is Stingy Jack by Beavertown (review pending) but I've not seen anything from any other UK based craft brewers. Brave move and it's paid off!

Food Suggestion: Turkey dinner! Stuffing, cranberry sauce, red cabbage and those little sausage things wrapped in bacon! Boom!

Drink this if you like: Blankets and darkness before 6pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment