Saturday 10 May 2014

Ska Brewing - Vernal Minthe Stout

"No, seriously, it tastes like an after dinner mint." Was the sales patter at Bambuni, the home of the best toastie I've ever eaten in a van.
"How's that even possible?!" I demanded, at which the gentleman shrugged and repeated himself.

"...Sold!"

What's not to like about this though? It pours like tar, has a head like Don King (that sounded less racist in my head) and makes everything it touches smell like an explosion at an Irish confectioners. You've got to, at least, enjoy what Ska do because it's quite clear that they do. What is it the kids say nowadays? "Zero ducks given?" Well, that's ska, they just don't gave a f... Ohhhhh, kids sure are foul mouthed these days.

On the nose it smells like stout (chocolate and coffee, we've been over this) and mint. Both strong, both loud and proud, both elements assaulting you like they were random encounter monsters in a Final Fantasy game. The body is true black too, no light coming through this one, this kind of black is where sunshine and happy thoughts go to reconsider their options in life... The smell really does stick with you, I've just noticed that while I was analysing the body and eyeing up the speckling I got another whiff and before I knew it half the glass was gone.

It is just... Absolutely ridiculous. It really does taste like an after dinner mint! There are little hints of sweetness from the malt and little tinges of liquorice as well but the big surprise factor here is that it actually does as it says. It's a Mint Chocolate Stout, a beer I've been craving since I first awakened to the world of craft beer.

I use no hyperbole when I say that this beer is an experience that every beer fan (especially if they're also an ice-cream fan... Which I am) HAS to try. Even if it's just once... Though based on my own personal experience, that definitely will not be the case.

Food Suggestion: Belgian waffles and vanilla ice cream. Indulge that sweet tooth like a lapsed Mormon in M&M world.

Drink this if you like: Not tried anything like it before. I know Thornbridge had a mint chocolate stout but it's definitely not regular and Shipyard have one too but... It's Shipyard. It's like comparing Apples and... Well, considerably worse apples that look like they're made of steel wool and moss.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome beer to drink but will you ever get it in the shop? Plus I would have to buy it as Sam hates mint in all forms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stout. This one seems to be a great stout. Hope I can find it easily. Cheers

    ReplyDelete