Monday 19 November 2012

Beartown - Wojtek

With one of the most interesting naming stories I've ever seen, it is hard to prejudge Wojtek before you even pop the cap on this pretty looking blonde. It is an interesting and surprising beer that tastes predominantly of gingerbread and has very little bitterness. In fact I've never encountered a beer that tasted like ginger bread before, so that's definitely a first! There are hints of parsley as well as a nice hoppy crunch to round it off. I really didn't expect this at all! This is an interesting beer... It's not particularly complex since it only really has that one overwhelming level but that one level is, at least, something I would pay to see again.

I was buying wine for my girlfriend's dad as a last minute birthday present and, as I often do, I got pulled towards the beer section by an invisible yet irresistible force. I looked at the shelves and uttered the same words that have become almost a mantra to me: "Had it. Boring. Boring. Had it. Boring. Had it. Had it." So I wandered around to look for wine and, like Charlie finding the golden ticket after losing all hope, I found the bargain bin. "All beer for £1" it said. "Deal!" I announced to the great confusion of onlookers who just saw me pointing and grinning at a set of shelves. This definitely gives me great hope for the other 2 bottles I took a gamble on, though I recognise both of the brewers Castle Rock and Wold Top as up and comers who people have suggested I review before. No-one mentioned Beartown! No-one mentioned Wojtek! That poor Syrian bear who the Polish thought was a real person during WW2!

For the tiny sum of 1 English pound, this was a fantastic bargain! Even if the regular price rises to to £2, it's still worth it. This is a lovely tasting beer, give it a shot!

Food Suggestion: Coffee and Walnut cake so that it tastes like the Satrbucks gingerbread latte... Which is also awesome!

Drink this if you like: Anything by Dark Star, this has the same feel and same shocking effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment