Sunday 11 November 2012

Duchy - Old Ruby Ale

I'm always rather sceptical when people who make biscuits and rear beef then turn their hand to the fine art of brewing beer, I get the impression that some companies just spread themselves too thin to make any decent sort of beer. Sometimes, when that is utterly true, big supermarkets might get a well known beer company to make their beer for them, which I think is cheating. If it helps, I do rather like their biscuits.

It turns out that I should not have been scared of this at all, the aroma has a hint of currants and poached figs and the taste is a mix between bitter berries and custard. The pour is impressive and satisfying and it seems to be best served at about half room temperature. It doesn't entirely look like a ruby ale, looking more brown than a lot of bitters I've had, but it sure as hell tastes like one! Normally characterised by fruity flavours, this evens those out with the balance of the slight bitterness and a biscuity flavour that only rears its head after a couple of hefty, man sized, gulps. This creamy and easily drinkable ruby ale is a beautiful middle ground between lager and real ale and would be a perfect starting point for anyone who wanted to get more acquainted with the world of real beer.

I'm not altogether sure whether this has been brought in from another company, I suspect it hasn't, it tastes like someone has worried about this, it smells like someone has thought about it, as a whole package it is a good beer. It's not blowing any doors down but it is definitely a good beer that can easily be had again and again, I could easily drink this for the rest of the evening... But I won't, there's a whole world of beer out there!

Food suggestion: Fig rolls... Poached figs... Something to do with figs, this has really got me in the mood for them.

Drink this if you like: Copper Top by Old Dairy Brewery or Hobgoblin by Wychwood. It's not the same as them but it's definitely 1 step in a different direction away from both of them that fans of each would find satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment