Tuesday 25 June 2013

Evil Twin - Yin and Yang

This, like most tales, is one of 2 halves, a fact that is only interesting because those halves used to be 2 wholes. The unholy marriage between an Imperial IPA and an Imperial Stout that bore the love child that is Yin and Yang by Evil Twin, a brewery steeped in intrigue, produced in Aberdeenshire with the punk Willy Wonka hybrid-mind that is BrewDog. Everything about this beer just screams at you. I poured this beer like a televangelist with parkinsons and it punished me with a 3 and a half finger head, which begrudgingly retreated after I said it didn't look fat and that we could go shopping after. The froth leaves lovely speckling that could be in an art gallery and it all settles down to a thin cappuccino style foam sitting on top of a glass of pure darkness. I do not exaggerate, this is the blackest drink I've had since Ashtray Heart... by Evil Twin. This drink is so black that a recent meeting by the Goth High Council and that guy from the blog "Goths up Trees" announced that all clothing must be this shade of black or blacker or you're not a real goth, and that's a stone cold fact that you can take to the bank...

The bank of facts.

It smells, like all things Evil Twin, like the tar pit would smell in Candy Land: Equal measures sweet and life threatening. I get the impression that the Imperial Stout won the battle of the aroma but I've got my fingers crossed that the Imperial IPA won the battle of the taste. Neither really won because there's only one REAL winner...

ME!

Jesus butt-f***ing Christ this is a tasty beer! It's got sweetness for days mixed in with a sense of gravity and sheer, unadulterated, force that you really don't get with any other brewery out there! It sways from the taste and feel of a black IPA, with the big hops and a slightly refreshing body, to the big, bold, warming tones of an imperial Stout in the blink of an eye. It's got big hops AND a liquorice after taste that I truly don't understand but I honestly do not wish to question, all I want is MORE OF THIS BEER!

I'm pretty sure, however, that if I drank as much of this as I really want to then I would almost definitely go blind because at a hefty 11.1% this puppy is not to be toyed with because this is no toy poodle this is one of those mythical puppies with 2 heads that spits acid and humps your leg... Whilst looking you dead in the eye. It doesn't taste like 11.1%... Which is extremely dangerous... For me... But mostly it's just the sign of an extremely skilled brewer.

Evil Twin. I don't know how you do the things you do. I just want you to keep doing them.

Food suggestion: Salad... Ha! Shut the hell up! Salad is for the weak willed! Go big or go home ya damp little tea cloth! STEAK! Fancy steak. Fillet steak with a fancy sauce that involves either chocolate or the food equivalent of gun powder. The core of this is: DRINK YIN AND YANG WHILST EATING A STEAK AS BIG AS YOUR FACE!

Drink this if you like: The look of yourself in your favourite jeans... Or sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment