Thursday 20 June 2013

Orkney Brewery - Latitude

I'm not entirely sure what to expect from a Scottish Pilsner. I imagine I should keep an open mind. I also imagine that it won't taste particularly Scottish, especially considering that almost all Scottish beers I've had to date have been well above the 6% mark, yet this eeks in at just under 4.

It looks nice enough, fluffy with half a finger of head and a slight cloudiness to it. On the bottle they claim to have created a fresh green hop flavour, which is hard to do without the use of fresh green hops... Which is what I suspect they mean by "flavour" otherwise they would've just said something like "brewed with fresh green hops." I'm just nit picking though because it smells as fresh as a newly pitched idea for a fabric softener commercial, with an overtone of a sweet caramel slice.

I reckon I'm going to like this beer.

I wasn't wrong! It does taste like fresh green hops to an extent but that's paired up with a soft honey sweetness and a bitter aftershock that makes a pilsner for people who ACTUALLY like beer. I don't even think the stuffed shirts at CAMRA, who have lobbied against anything that even slightly looks like lager, would say no to this. This is as crisp and thirst quenching as anything I had in Germany but also somewhat more complex than some of the ales I've reviewed for this blog, ales more than double the percentage of this (and more than double the price.)

Yet again I have purchased this from a place that doesn't really sell beer, it only barely sells stuff you can eat. Dobbies is quickly becoming my favourite place to buy beer in Ashford.

Food Suggestion: Crips. Fancy ones. Or chips. Fancy ones! From a fancy chip shop within, at least, 5 miles of an actual beach.

Drink this if you like: Tzara by Thornbridge or any craft Pilsner. This one might be a bit more of a test but I'm sure you can handle it if you're reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment