Sunday 9 September 2012

Brewdog - Mikkeller, I Hardcore You

If I had to nit pick then I'd point out that the couple on the bottle aren't anatomically correct. The sight of genitals with a good beer should be like having cheese with crackers.

You know when you've bought a good beer? You know you've bought a good beer when the guy you buy it from is wearing a t-shirt with that exact logo on it. You know you've got a good beer when, instead of giving you some bulls**t about what it's supposed to taste like, it has a government warning about pregnant women and your potential ability to drive after consumption. You know you've got a good beer when the first sip makes you a bit tipsy and the rest of the bottle makes you a bit happy. Mikkeller is a seriously hardcore IPA from the revolutionary beer punks over at Brewdog that has hops for days and a drinkability that you don't often find from a beer that is 9.5%. I chilled this in the fridge for about half an hour as I don't like my IPAs too cold but if it comes down to it, I'd prefer it ice cold to warm. I find that between 25-35 minutes is about right for a lot of dark beers.

The after taste somewhat reminds me of the first time I ever had Haribo sourz and shandy whilst the nose is a heady grapefruit that is as subtle and penetrating as a ninja gigolo. I gave myself about 10 minutes to write this review, the idea being that I start drinking, start writing, finish writing and then finish drinking. This one didn't make it very far. I started writing and then almost instantly finished drinking. I imagine a beer like this could turn me into an alcoholic because it's the kind of beer you have to drink on your own, when you pop the cap you can't help but suddenly feel selfish and protective. Right now there is a fly in my room buzzing around the top of the bottle and I genuinely begrudge it the residue on the lip.

I can't remember how much I paid for it, surprisingly I'd been drinking, but it was between £4-6 and for that money you get 11.2 fluid ounces of brown joy that'll put a smile on your face (insert pun about Japanese businessman here,) a hole in your wallet and a gap in your short term memory.

Food tip: Not that I really like eating anything more complex than pork scratchings whilst having a good drink because I only have a finite amount of room in me and I need all that for the lovely booze, but I imagine this would go really nicely with some sort of duck dish. In fact you can buy this beer over at the Bottle Shop in Canterbury and Cafe des Amis (Mexican joint with weird art, friendly staff, uncomfortable corner tables you should avoid and the best Mexican food I've ever eaten,) is a 3 minute walk from there, they do amazing duck fajitas, order take away (which I don't think they do) or sneak this in like a total badass. If that idea is too risky for your liking then I can imagine it going well with a nice bit of lemon chicken or even some sweet and sour if you're tired of following the rules and want to act like a total rebel... Fight the power!

Drink this if you like: Drinking good beer... More specific? Ok! If you like intensely flavoured trappist style blonde beer; lighter, more citrus inspired brunes or really hoppy English IPAs like Cannonball or Green Daemon, by Magic Rock and Hopdaemon respectively.

Don't drink and drive, especially when there is the option to drink and then drink some more.

4 comments:

  1. BrewDog++ If you want brewdog on a budget they make Tesco's 9.2% abv American Double IPA. omnom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call! That can be my stepping stone to Tokyo and their 32% tactical nuclear penguin. I'm preparing myself by gargling with gravel every evening and punching myself in the stomach every morning. I'd say it's a safe bet that you'll see a lot of BrewDog on my blog, in fact I've just written one about their team up with Flying Dog from America, making a hopless IPA styled beer called International Arms Race. Very interesting, probably not to everyone's taste, but it was definitely fun. Thanks for reading! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi just to be perdantic this beer is called "I Hardcore You" a collaboration between the Danish Gipsy Brewer "Mikkeller" beer "I Beat You" and Brew Dog's Hardcore IPA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noted and changed. I imagine I'll get a lot of things wrong, but that's part of the fun I reckon. Don't think twice about being pedantic, it helps make the blog better and more accurate. Feel free to nitpick the rest of it :)

    ReplyDelete